Friday, April 08, 2011

Monkey & Croc an iPhone app for kids

Yesterday I downloaded my first picture book app for an iPhone. I haven't exactly jumped on the band wagon sooner, partly because I don't have any little ones at home any more.  Besides, I tend to love the feel of picture books.  The app I downloaded was Monkey & Croc by Will Terry.  I totally loved it.  It's a simple, but engaging story that would amuse if you were, say at the grocery store checkout with an ansty toddler, or stuck in traffic with a whiny preschooler in need of a snack.  The art is clean, bright, and punchy enough to be appeal.  The story line is pretty simple, but hey, it works well on a small screen. You can choose to read it yourself, or have it read.  Each word lights up as it's read.  And, there aren't a lot of bells and whistles of the sort that can be off-putting.  The only thing I didn't like was that if you choose the voice feature, the enunciation of individual words tends to impede the story's flow.  Still, for $2.99 you can hardly go wrong...and it's available as a PDF, through Amazon (for Kindle), Barnes & Noble (for Nook) and as an app for an iPad or iPhone through iTunes.  Below is the trailer that Will says, "I had way too much fun making."

No comments: