Monday, April 24, 2006

The Crazy Man

On the weekend, I finished The Crazy Man, which is an absolutely must read by Pamela Porter(see earlier post for more info). It is set on the prairies in the recent past. A farm accident which injures Emaline, is the last straw for her father who destroys the dog whom he blames for the tragedy, and then walks away from his farm, his family, and a life that has been nothing but stife and stuggle. In order to survive, Emaline's mother gets help from the local insane asylum in the form of Angus, known to the town as the crazy man. A series of encounters with cruelty, ignorance and predjudice convince Emaline that crazy is very much a relative thing and that healing and friendship can be found in places where you never thought to look. So good. Strong characters, solid plot development, although I still question the structure. Free verse poetry did not really seem to me to be an essential vehicle to carry this story. Would love to hear what anyone else who has read this book thinks.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am actually reading Crazy Man now. The one thing I thought the format added to the book was the way it broke up the story into smaller sections, breaks.

Saad M. said...

I have finished The crazy Man and I think the way it is writtin ( like poem verses) is difficult. But the book was great i give it a 10/10

Saad M. said...

I think the way it is writtin ( like poem verses) is difficult. But the book was great i give it a 10/10

faith_walkonwater said...

check out
www.thecrazymanbypamelaporter.piczo.com
for more on itt!

Anonymous said...

i just finished reading this book and it was so good and not hard to fallow or read so i tink if you like sad books with happy endings this is a great book for you.Igive it a 9 out of 10

readingkidsbooks said...

Thanks Cailey. Will do when I get a minute.

readingkidsbooks said...

I've spoken to a few others who agree Ahmed. On the other hand, I've heard from one or two who feel it makes the story read more smoothly and still others who prefer the poetic prose because it is shorter than fiction, and therefore more accessible.

readingkidsbooks said...

That's certainly true, Kristen. The more spare prose approach can also make it more accessible. I prefer a richer, meatier story though. I love those extra details that really make you feel like you're there.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the flow of the poem format was easy to follow. Sometimes, if I had to stop reading on a specific spot, it wasn't hard to get back into it. Each page has a mini chapter in poem form. Touching story line, a great read .

readingkidsbooks said...

It's interesting how many people find the poetic structure easier than traditional novels. It's good to know that poetry is still popular, even when it is presented in novel form. Sheryl

Anonymous said...

Okay I am a 7th grader in Wyandotte MI and we had to read this book. I thought it was amazing and I loved it.

Anonymous said...

I totally love this book.It has a interesting way of describing everything so you can actually picture it in your mind.I finished Crazy Man already but I've decided that this is goin' to be a fave for me!!!!XD =D X3 XP

jan said...

I started grade one in 1964; this book brought the sixties alive for me again. I loved the format. The language was powerful and evocative. I think it was very well done. This book has become a favorite of mine that moves me each time I read it.