Sunday, April 02, 2006

Under the Persimmon Tree by Suzanne Fisher Staples


So, here is my first post. I'm sitting here listening to kd lang's Hymns to the 49th Parallel after just having returned from a succesful shoe shopping venture with my daughter, Ali. What has this got to do with kids' books you might ask. Obviously, procrastination! First, the shopping, now this whole blog thing. I should be working on the picture book that has me totally stumped, but they always start out this way, with much angsting, procrastinating, more angsting, a little gardening, and perhaps a home reno show or two on tv. Of course I'm new to blogging as a procrastination tool, but I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly and in no time. When I'm done this, I'll jump back into Under the Persimmon Tree, a YA novel by Suzanne Fisher Staples, a journalist turned author. She is good, very good. I have read two of her other books, Shabanu and Havali, also wonderful. If you want insight into childhood in Afghanistan, she's a must-read, along with Deborah Ellis, of course.

No comments: