Thursday, July 01, 2010

Books versus Film



Usually, I read more than one book at a time.  I can't help myself.  I'll go to the bookstore, come home with a pile of books, dive into one, get distracted, dive into another, and so on.  I generally have a book in the car, one in my purse (one of these days I'm going to get an electronic reader, I swear), and another by my bed.  Sometimes I have a different book on the go in the living room.  It's all very ADD, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Anyways, at the moment I'm reading The Girl Who Played With Fire by Steig Larsson, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead and The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

Larsson's first book in "The Girl" series has already hit the big screen, but I'm sure it won't be long before The Girl Who Played With Fire makes it's debut. I hear that When You Reach Me, has been optioned for film as well.  So, I wonder if The Art of Racing in the Rain, which is a totally awesome,  book whose story is told from the point of view of a dog, will follow.  All three books are dynamite.  Will the cinematic versions be as good?  My guess is probably not, but hey, if it turns a few more people onto the books, I'm all for it.

No comments: