Monday, May 17, 2010

Bob Munsch is as brave as he is talented.

I can't say that I was shocked by children's book author Robert Munsch admission of mental health problems, but I was saddened. Bob's writing has brought a unique off-the-wall perspective to children's books that I and many others treasure. I recall thinking (when I took my kids to see him years ago) that his energy output during his performance was verging on manic. It seems that wasn't far off the truth. In a note to parents on his website, Bob admits to struggling with a manic/depressive disorder and in a recent interview he's owned up to drug and alcohol abuse to cope with it. All I can say is, not only is the man an incredible talent, but he's also exceedingly brave. Way to go Bob. For what it's worth, you have my support and I trust the rest of the children's literature community is behind you too.

No comments: